A Guide to Cloud Hosting
Most of you are already using cloud computing in some form or another. For example, net banking and social networks are two platforms that perform cloud computing using cloud hosting to deliver the end user the desired results. It is a combination of hardware and software that delivers desired results to the end user, and all this is made possible using the cloud.
Cloud hosting is a cluster of hundreds of servers connected together to act and perform like one. One of the most advanced hosting plans that you can get for your business online, but at the same time, it is actually more cost effective when you compare it to the other hosting plans available in the market. Cloud hosting makes it possible for developers to collaborate and work together in real time.
Cloud hosting servers
If one server breaks down, there are other servers to share and distribute the load. So essentially, you are not depending on one single server to run your business operations, and this is the main selling point of cloud hosting. You can access your files, apps and pretty much anything hosted on the server from anywhere in the world, all you need is a web browser to do so. This is great as it adds a lot of versatility and flexibility to the work environment making it simpler and more effective to work.
Cloud hosting vs. web hosting
Here are some of the main differences between a common web hosting plan and a cloud hosting plan:
- The server on which your files, data and apps are uploaded onto is normally shared with other customers and users. These users are going to compete with you for bandwidth, space and other server resources. The servers are managed by the technical team of the web host or the company leasing out the server to its clients. This is not the case with cloud hosting.
- Cloud hosting is more versatile and flexible when compared with regular hosting.
- Regular hosting is mostly used by individuals, small and medium scale entrepreneurs while cloud hosting is used by developers and large scale business owners.
- It is difficult and sometimes not even possible to scale operations on a regular web hosting plan, but cloud hosting allows you to scale business operations easily and cost effectively.
- If you see a sudden spike in traffic, regular web host will crash and will not be able to support the sudden influx of traffic. However in case of cloud hosting, it will be easy to absorb all the traffic and handle the extra load without slowing down or crashing your site. In regular web host, you will have to buy additional server space and bandwidth to handle the spike. It might take some time which means your site will be offline or unavailable until you are able to resolve the issue.
- In a web host, all the files and apps are loaded on a single server and if anything happens to that server, your site and apps will go down. There are many scenarios like a possible hack, sudden spike in traffic, malware and so on. In case of cloud hosting, if something happens to one server, the load is shared by other servers.
Cloud hosting vs. VPS
- A VPS is a single physical server while a cloud hosting server is a cluster of multiple servers acting together as one server.
- VPS server is divided into a handful of customers who are all using the same server. If the server goes down, all the users and their apps and sites on the server will be affected. In case of cloud hosting, the resources are distributed among a number of servers, and if one server goes down, the sites and apps continue to function and operate as intended.
- The hardware in case of a VPS is located on an offsite which is owned by a third party web hosting provider. Cloud hosting is owned and controlled by you, and is located on a site owned by you or a data center controlled by you.
- A cloud host is more cost effective in the long run when compared with a VPS.
Cloud hosting advantages
Here are some of the main advantages of cloud hosting:
- One of the major advantages of cloud hosting is that it results in cost savings. It is important for a business model to make money in order to survive in any industry, and cutting costs is one way to achieve this. Cloud computing powered by cloud hosting helps businesses achieve this.
- A cloud hosting is the most reliable platform that money can buy today. It is very consistent and offers performance that remains unmatched. It is even more reliable than the tradition IT infrastructure that was so commonly managed in-house by many business corporations.
- Cloud hosting that enables and powers cloud computing offers you an edge over your competitors who are constantly competing with you for customers and exposure. It achieves this by saving you cost and time that can be utilized in pursuing other meaningful activities, thereby helping your organization grow and expand its operations.
The uptime provided by cloud hosting platform can be said to be 100% because you site and apps are never offline. As there is always a backup server in the cluster of servers to handle the additional load and pressure, you never have to worry about your site going offline due to reasons like sudden spike in traffic, malware, virus attack and so on.